The hardest part of the whole thirty for me has been the inability to make wraps, sandwiches, tacos, pizzas, pasta, rice, risotto, etc….. Kidding…. It has been quite a challenge though, and really forces you to get creative with your meals. This recipe may scare you away because of the time, but really you are only spending 20 minutes cooking hands on, there is an hour the chicken will be in your pressure cooker/instant pot that will allow you to squeeze in a couple episodes of your favorite Netflix show.
I needed a crunch so decided to make these lettuce wraps.
Hands on time: 20 minutes
Equipment: Cast Iron, Instant Pot, Cutting Board, Knife, Mixing Bowl
- 2 to 3 lbs of Chicken thighs
- One Large Sweet onion
- Chicken Stock
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- One Large Cucumber
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Romaine Lettuce Hearts
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon
- 1 TBSP Turmeric
- 1 TBSP Hungarian Paprika
- 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
- 1 TBSP Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried parsley
- 1 tsp onion powder or dried chopped onion
- 1 tsp Aleppo Pepper (Red pepper flakes is a substitute)
Now first things first, get your chicken Marinated before hand! Absolutely minimum of 30 minutes, but I recommend marinating for several hours if you can!
- Get your ingredients out and organized to help make the cooking process easier!
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl large enough to fit your chicken
- Trim any excess fat off of your thighs
- Mix your thighs to evenly coat
3. Color (optional)
Get your crayons out and stay inside the lines! JK, unless you want to, I’ll let you. For real now, I always like to give protein some color before using a pressure cooker or slow cooker, I don’t like the rubbery grayish color you’ll get if you don’t.
- Heat a frying pan and coat with olive oil (cast iron recommended)
- Once lightly smoking place your thighs spaced out on the pan (do this in batches if your meat does not fit and have some space)
- A chefs press (weights) will help brown the meat evenly
- Cook for 1 minute on each side to brown each side
- Place the browned thighs in your instant pot
4. Cook (pressure cook)
- Slice your onion and place in Instant pot
- Add enough stock to cover half way up the meat
- Add four generous sized garlic cloves
- Add four bay leaves
- Add teaspoon Aleppo pepper (red pepper flakes will work too, Aleppo has a fruitier flavor though)
- Mix everything up
- Place lid on cooker, ensure your steam valve is closed,
- Choose your chicken/poultry setting on a high pressure setting, or cooked “well”
- You want your meat to fall apart
I recommend prepping your toppings while the chicken is cooking or when it is about to be done cooking, but whose world is this? A: The world is yours!
- Quarter your cherry tomatoes, julienne your carrot, Dice your cucumber, Chop your parsley, Clean your lettuce
- Place chicken along the stem of the lettuce
- add toppings
- drizzle balsamic